Drilling at an angle through cavity wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I'm fitting this outside mixer tap through a 37cm thick brick cavity wall. The tech spec states that I need to drill the holes at a "slight downward angle" in order for the tap to drain properly.

My question is, how do I drill two holes with matching downward angles, so that they are nice and parallel? Are there any tips/tricks for this?

It seems like this might be quite difficult to achieve by just eyeballing it, as it will be quite a long SDS brill bit, and i'll have a cavity in the middle to deal with too.

And advice gratefully received!

Jim

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry too much about this Jim - there's a fair chance the SDS bit will wander to some degree anyway, but get someone to sight it for you as you drill if possible.
Choose a bit with plenty of clearance, and do lag the pipe especially if its copper.......I try to use a length of round plastic trunking if possible.
John :)

Have you got somewhere you can get some small lengths of 3x2s pcs?

Make something like this, but add a groove along the length at the top piece to accommodate the drill shaft, slightly larger than the thickness of the drill bit.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/b9/aa/71/b9aa7113a777421ef17c80e6980d8c9f.jpg

I don't see the initial drilled hole, say 10mm, being straight, just to get a starter hole so your drill point spinning off the concrete wall.

Thanks John,

Yeah I was thinking about trunking it somehow, maybe with some plastic pipe. But it's 15mm pipe, so it's going to end up being quite a large diameter hole!

Jim

Sponsored Links
If the pipes are passing through a cavity then they need to be sleeved (usually using the next pipe size up or a length of overflow pipe)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back