drilling bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
drilling tapholes in an acrylic bath

i was thinking of using a diamond - tipped holesaw-the type used for porcelain tiles- for drilling my new acrylic bath (mere with carronite reinforcing). is this ok?

i am buying some of these cheap from a chinese site for the porcelin tiles going in too (the circular type without the pilot bit) will use a guide too, an adjustable plate and sucker job with 4 bearings to hold the bit steady. so i figured it would b handy if i could use them on the bath as i dont have a decent holesaw with auger, and they are expensive from what i have seen.

i read somewhare a carbide steel bit is best with the teeth ground down to a shallower angle, so u are effectively grinding the acrylic, fine if you are doing this all the time.

if its ok to use should i drill fast or slow, and use some water for cooling, lubrication?

any pointers greatly accepted

Sponsored Links
p1172482_l.jpg

+

p1653820_l.jpg

£8.27 is'nt really going to break the bank is it?

It'll be cheaper than if you ruin your brand new bath.

Drill it on a nice slow speed.

Also use the pilot first then add the holesaw, if you try to do it all in one you may split the bath

Sponsored Links
I used the tools shown above and they drill the bath no problem at all. I signed up to this forum because I had a problem with a bath that was cracked. I had left the protection on and drilled the holes and when fitting removed the protection to reveal a crack and of course the suppliers wouldn't have it back once drilled , so a simple piece of advice is before you drill check absolutely everywhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back