Sharpening hard drill bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I'm familiar with sharpening the more common drill bits like HSS, Forstner, Auger etc, but there seems little info for glass/tile bits or masonry bits with their tungsten carbide tips.

I read somewhere that a diamond or green silicon carbide grinding wheel would do the job for masonry bits, so presumably this would be good for the tile/glass bit aswell?

But what about angles etc? Whilst some of my masonry bits have one sloping side to the carbide cutting tip, some slope both ways. There seems no guides on this sort of detail on the web.

And what about by hand. Anything that can be used, if a grinding wheel is not available?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
A green grit wheel is essential......the grinding angles will be the same as those for a conventional drill so if you are ok with those then you'll do fine.
The other sloping angle on the tip allows for regrinding as necessary, but personally I just buy new bits.
John :)

On a masonry bit like sds its not worth while to sharpen the carbide as the flutes wear out first. And even if he carbide is blunt a good sds drill will punch it through the wall anyway.
We use 12mm a lot for thunderbolts and probably go through a couple every month.

Sponsored Links
I've sharpened masonry bits and will probably continue to do so there's nothing inherently difficult about it. As said a green grit wheel is essential , however , the "problem" with them is they are quite soft and wear away relatively quickly compared to other wheels. Therefore you may need to make a personal choice wether you consider it economical to resharpen , larger diameter bits it probably makes more sense but 5 and 7 mm bits it may not be worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back