Drilling bathroom floor tiles for round door stop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any special precautions or special drill bits I need to use when drilling floor tiles in the bathroom? By round doorstop I mean the ones that look like one quarter of a sphere. Like the one in this linkhttp://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat...HZPCFEY?productId=34150&imageNo=null&ts=15855

I'm fitting a round door stop which requires 2 holes to be drilled in the tile. One for the plug and screw and one at the rear for for the bit at the back which when in the floor stops the door stop from rotating or swivelling.

Any help is appreciated

Sponsored Links
Hi, use a core drill with diamond pieces, keep it cool by making a plasticine or Bluetack sausage to make a little pool of water within to drill (does that make sense?)

If big holes are required it is easier to drill a pilot small hole then go bigger.

alternativetiles said:
If big holes are required it is easier to drill a pilot small hole then go bigger.
Not with a diamond holesaw it isn't - it wouldn't help at all.

If the tiles are just regular ceramic you'll be fine using a decent masonry bit. If porcelain, use one of these http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item.php/store//c1//c2/1743/sn/MDCD6 in a pool of water as suggested. Alternatively you can use a good masonry bit if you've only got 2 holes to drill and you can't wait for the diamond holesaw to be delivered; you still need the water pool and you need to drill very slowly.
(Of course this pool of water idea is of no use on already fitted wall tiles. ;) )

The tile is ceramic so as I thought a masonary bit will do the job. Thanks for the advice folks. Now all I have to worry about is hidden radiator pipes!!! :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
"Not with a diamond holesaw it isn't - it wouldn't help at all."

Yes you are quite right was thinking of a conventional drill / drilling when I typed it :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back