Drilling into brick wall and hitting something hard?

Could well be bricks with black patches in them they can smell odd, only way you will find out is chip out some of the wall messy, but at least you will know if it happens elsewhere. Gas pipe or conduit still a possible cause.

Sponsored Links
Could well be bricks with black patches in them they can smell odd, only way you will find out is chip out some of the wall messy, but at least you will know if it happens elsewhere. Gas pipe or conduit still a possible cause.
Thanks. Would black brick be particularly hard to drill through?

Victorian common bricks often have bits of hard stone in them as the clay-sieving and grinding machines were often not that efficient and the bricks were very variable in quality. You've probably hit a hard fragment, plus your drill bits are worn.
Drill small pilot holes first (3mm or 4mm) and work up in size. Drilling a small pilot hole enables greater pressure on the bit, but keep withdrawing it as otherwise it gets too hot.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your comments. The mystery has been solved. Just thought I'd write about it in case anybody else comes across the same issue, because I suspect it might be a common occurrence in terraced houses.
Our neighbour had a look at the wall. He's done a lot of work on his house so he understands how these houses were built. Turns out it was very hard black brick that they used to build the chimney breast. He seemed pretty confident of this so I let him finish drilling the hole. We used the same drill but with his JCB carbide tip drill bits (as mine had melted!). He's stronger than me and just went hell for leather for about 1 min and managed to drill a hole about 10cm deep. I noticed at first there was grey dust coming out, and then red dust.
Anyway, hopefully this is interesting/useful to anyone out there undertaking a similar project on an older property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back