Help needed drilling into walls!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I just want to put up some shelves, but every time I drill into the walls it creates a huge hole as our walls are so crumbly. We have a 1930s brick built house. I have tried using much smaller drill bits than recommended, but even then the hole it creates is too big. Should I try packing the holes with something or just give up altogether and put up free- standing shelves instead? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Sorry - what I meant is it appears to be bricks/ blocks. When I drill I get red brick dust and it seems to be solid to the depth I am drilling. Does taht make sense?

It makes sense, but I dont know why you cant drill the hole, I assume you are using a good drill bit with your drill set not to hammer.

Its not so much a problem that I can't drill the hole, more that when I do it creates a huge hole as the wall starts crumbling. The drill has a good drill bit and definitely isnt on hammer setting. I thought I'd sorted it earlier - drilled the hole, put the wall plug in, but when we started screwing the screw in the wall plug kept rotating and eventually filled with dust from the brick. I've tried using drill bits a couple of sizes smaller than that recommended for the wall plugs, but it still doesn't really work.

Just tilt my stetson back on my head.....

You could put some polyfilla into the hole before inserting the rawplug and let it dry. I had a similar problem in a previous house and this was my final solution. (Before that the shelves fell off the wall!)

Mate, if you can get your hands on this stuff, "Fast Set" plaster.

Most Dulux centres sell this plaster, it is more plyable than polyfilla.

Pollyfilla is crap! it gets hard to quickly and cracks easily. "Fast Set" is special stuff - it remains useable but when sit sets it sets HARD.

Then, use rawplugs for gyproc facings: these have a wider "face" and cling strongly to the plaster.

I have used this many times - no problems!

You can buy a 2 part filler, its 2 strips, break off what you want mix together push into the hole (as long as its not to big). Cant remember what its called, but I have some at home, I will try to look at the name this weekend if needed.

post locked to prevent hi jacking (again)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back