Drilling Help Needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Disclaimer: I am not a competent DIY-er...

but even I can usually manage to drill a hole to hang something on the wall! I am drilling into the chimney breast to hang a mirror. The drill goes through the plaster fine, but will not drill through the brick behind. I have tried starting with a smaller size bit and working up (someone on here suggested that in a thread I found) but still no go.

I am using this drill and the drill bits supplied, could it be that I am using the wrong sort of drill/bit?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-Cordless-NiCad-Driver-Battery/dp/B000RW025E

Any advice really gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
depends on what's behind the plaster, but that's not a great drill TBH.

blimey that's a question. I assume you don't do a lot of DIY so maybe try and borrow an 18v Li-Ion drill from someone. but as said it depends on what you're trying to drill into.

Sponsored Links
I don't do much DIY, but would be nice to have a decent drill for when needed. As to what I'm trying to drill into - bricks made of iron I think! It's 1920s semi in Wales, not sure if that would help identify type of brick?

I have found these to be the best drill bits for a cordless drill driver...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281046898079
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231092304102

They will go through even hard old red brick. If you can't drill a hole with one of these, then you'll have to get yourself an SDS drill, not a percussion/hammer drill. If you've never used an SDS drill before, be prepared to 'wish you had bought one years ago' when you see how easily it drills even the hardest brick/stone/concrete!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I don't do much DIY, but would be nice to have a decent drill for when needed. As to what I'm trying to drill into - bricks made of iron I think! It's 1920s semi in Wales, not sure if that would help identify type of brick?

Maybe they're Accrington Nori (iron spelled backwards) anyhow. you could try using dewalt extreme 2 masonry bits. with regards to a different drill it depends on budget, use etc.. I am afraid there are hundreds of options ranging from not much money to a very large amount.

It seems that drill doesn’t have a hammer setting.
I would guess that the supplied bits were not masonry bits in that case.

See if you can borrow a mains-powered drill with hammer action and a masonry bit.

It seems that drill doesn’t have a hammer setting.
I would guess that the supplied bits were not masonry bits in that case.

See if you can borrow a mains-powered drill with hammer action and a masonry bit.

You're right, it doesn't as far as I can tell! I might treat myself to a proper drill as I do want to try and do more DIY.

Thanks all for your help.

You're right, it doesn't as far as I can tell! I might treat myself to a proper drill as I do want to try and do more DIY.

Thanks all for your help.

Ah well if that's correct, you may as well look at the wall and hope for a suitably sized hole to appear. Let us know if you want advice on an upgrade, include budget / intended usage... well surely be happy to help.

If the walls are that hard, you need a SDS, nothing else will touch them. Soon pays for itself in terms of time (and temper) saved, no more blunted drill bits, and elongated holes where you're struggling to get into the brickwork. My neighbour borrowed mine to drill a couple of holes. He went out and bought his own straight afterwards. :LOL:

SDS will go through almost anything with the right bit, but it looks like you just need masonry bits and a hammer (combi) drill.
I have one of those drills I just use it as a screwdriver most of the time;)
Ask on here and all of us will have a list of out favourite drills to go for but a cheapie like this will do you fine till you really get into DIY and become a tool junkie like the rest of us:D
https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-tti699com-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/4908p

Disagree, he probably just needs a regular hammer-action drill and masonry bit.

I started with a regular Bosch hammer drill, after melting numerous masonry bits, and 2 knackered chucks, (wouldn't stay tight on the bit), bought my SDS and have no regrets! This old place has bricks with a blue centre, that are like granite, and joints of lime mortar which is like sand....

I started with a regular Bosch hammer drill, after melting numerous masonry bits, and 2 knackered chucks, (wouldn't stay tight on the bit), bought my SDS and have no regrets! This old place has bricks with a blue centre, that are like granite, and joints of lime mortar which is like sand....

Well, I won't get into a pee'ing contest, but my makita DHP481 gets through our NORI's with ease. (I have a few SDS's as well)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back