Drilling Help Needed!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Get yourself one of these:
https://www.its.co.uk/pd/1758-1765-Skil-Masters-2Kg-SDSplus-Rotary-Hammer-Drill-_SKI1758.htm

At more than 50% discount, you cant go wrong. I have one, it's a great to use for DIY stuff. Clearly not up to the standard for every day use, but that's fine. It has a normal chuck adaptor for using normal shank drill bits, but SDS+ drill bits are quite cheap and well worth the extra spend for mansonry work.

Edited in response to rsgaz post (good spot). Look out for the 240v version from other dealers instead

Nozzle

Last edited:
Does the OP have a 110v transformer Nozzle?! :p

$hit!!! When I purchased, it was available in "both flavours"... still, search around for the 240v version!!!

Nozzle

Disagree, he probably just needs a regular hammer-action drill and masonry bit.

Quite so.

He just wants to drill two holes to hang a mirror.

A mains-powered hammer drill with a masonry bit is the most suitable tool, inexpensive to buy, not very heavy, no batteries to recharge or fade away after a few years.

! I am drilling into the chimney breast to hang a mirror. .

Do you continue to use the fire that feeds the chimney? If you do I'd be very very wary of drilling into any brick work unless I know what is behind it (more solid brickwork).

You could end up breaking through into the chimney it's self and have a 'gas' leak - here I'm think of Carbon Monoxide or Carbon Dioxide let alone soot or other staining gases.

That's what I need!

wgt52 - don't worry, I don't use the fire, the only thing in the grate is a collection of pine cones which I have arranged in an artistic fashion. A couple of them are sparkly, but no flames.

Thanks for all the drill recs, will have a think about what to get. Nothing that weighs 6 kg, though!

Last edited:
Somewhere, I should have my hole chisel that the old boys used to use before drills were even invented. I've used it a few times and its around for emergencies and will make these holes for a wall plug no problem. Can't remember the proper name for it though or even if they are still made - I can't think why not.

Should be cheaper than a new drill for two holes.

Somewhere, I should have my hole chisel that the old boys used to use before drills were even invented. I've used it a few times and its around for emergencies and will make these holes for a wall plug no problem. Can't remember the proper name for it though or even if they are still made - I can't think why not.

Should be cheaper than a new drill for two holes.
You thinking of one of these woody?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...AUIEigC&biw=1024&bih=666#imgrc=C736V5JSW-05VM:

I drilled hundreds of holes for my father when he batton and hardboard dry lined our stone cottage in the 1950’s the plugs were either dowells, a brown shiney plug with small hole in the centre or, packed with an asbestos fibre which was wet with water .:eek:
I found the drill and a good selection of bits when I cleared his house after he passed away in 2014
litl

I think I'll echo JohnD's suggestion a 2kg corded SDS with decent SDS bits will tackle most DIY drilling jobs. Not too expensive either and depending on usage. might outlast you (might)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back