Drilling into wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a week off work and decided to build some shelves for our slightly wonky walled bedroom. Day 1 and I've run into a huge problem - no matter what mode I use on the drill (hammer action on or off), I just can't drill holes deep enough for standard red rawlplugs to lie flush with the wall.

Do I need a better drill? Different drill bits? Or is my rather little body weight not enough to put pressure on the drill to bite into the brinkwork? I've got to about 2/3 of the required depth, definately into brick - the wall is the one between our house and the next terrace.

Thanks for any tips!

Carrie

Sponsored Links
You need an S D S drill ( and a special bit to fit it -) that will last you for years @ diy level and drill anything including 15mm into concrete - anything else is a toy , and a waste of £ . Just googled and you` ll get a good one for £100 . Or you can hire them ;)

You have four choices.
1. Go up pub, get steamed, come home and forget all about shelves.
2. Go on diet of dumplings and bread pudding.
3. Buy couple of new masonry drill bits.
4. Buy a new SDS drill.
Your choice.
oldun :LOL:

You don't need an SDS drill to drill holes in brick for a red plug. Any decent mains powered hammer drill will do the job comfortably. However, you will need a good quality masonry bit.
It could be that you are not getting enough weight behind the drill but I wouldn't expect it to be that if you are only drilling small holes.
If you have a cheap cordless hammer drill then that could also be the reason for your problem as you need a powerful one for anything other than light work.

Sponsored Links
If this is an old terrace house, then the bricks should be relatively soft and any hammer drill will do.

Are you using a sharp/new bit?

Or try a smaller bit first and then enlarge it

Get up so that you have the drill at lower chest height for more leverage

Press the drill and then pull it out a bit, then press again and repeat. Don't just press on it continuously or you will heat up and soften the bit

Also, remember to allow for the plaster thickness - ie the red plugs need to go into the wall not just the plaster and a bit into the wall beneath

Yeah I forgot - get a rawlplug jumper and lump hammer from a boot sale . £2. instead of £100 :mrgreen: Come back Barry Bucknall - all is forgiven - and most SDS are Jap or Gerry anyway

Yeah I forgot - get a rawlplug jumper and lump hammer from a boot sale . £2. instead of £100 :mrgreen: Come back Barry Bucknall - all is forgiven - and most SDS are Jap or Gerry anyway

Your going back a long way Nige. Doubt if many on here ever saw one of his programmes. Used to enjoy watching him on me old mums 9ins black and white.
Still got a set of jumpers in a wallet. Want to buy them? Will throw in a tin of plasters.
oldun :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back