Drilling into paving slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to place a outdoor unit of an AC system onto a concrete slab. The base of the unit has holes where it can be screwed down. Question is, is it safe to drill into slab or will it crack the slab if I tighten a screw into it or attempt to hammer drill it?

Sponsored Links
Is this a 600x900mm slab? They are 50mm think so as long as you aren't trying to get an M12 bolt into a red plug it will be fine.

Yes they are the 900x600 50mm thick grey ones. What kind of plug and bolt should I put into it? I could always just drill the holes and have a the head sit on the underside of the slab and bolt it from the top side down that way no need for plug?

Don't try and drill too near the edge of the slab. If the slab is loose (sounds as if it is by your comment about putting the bolt underneath) then make sure it is well supported where you do drill it (nice bed of sand underneath will work a treat). If it is a screw fixing then just use brown or red plugs- anything bigger you might want to think about stainless stud and resin (if the slab is going to be fixed down, getting the aircon off for any maintenance could be a pain if the bolt head is inaccessible). Has the unit got built-in vibration damping or are you expected to mount it on rubber blocks?

Sponsored Links
Is the head only 6mm?

I bet there's a 13mm head with 10mm plug that might be better.

What do you think about using these style plugs and screws: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p63554?table=no

These have hex head instead of screw head so will be able to easily ratchet it in I think.
Yeah you'd get away with those, long as you're not too near the edge (50mm plus). They look like 6mm shaft so probably 10 or 12mm head, the same shop sells penny washers (cost more than a penny though :( ) if you need to spread the fix a bit more

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back