Drilling into stoney wall/pebblecrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an 1950s ex local authority house with walls that are made of what appears to be aggregate mixed with concrete and I need advice on drilling.

It’s not smooth pebblecrete as I would call it as it is lumpy stones of approx 20mm+ across loosely glued together with a sheen on concrete.
Having been up in the loft where it’s exposed and unrendered I’ve got a better idea of it.

Every time I try to drill it either the bit glances off the stones and the cavity goes on the wonk or the stones dislodge and I end up with a massive hole- an attempt to put a 25mm sds through the wall to fit some trunking resulted in a nearer 40mm hole as pebbles came loose and fell out the hole.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any advice?
My present thoughts are upgrade from my Bosch pbh2000 sds to something nearer 1500watts or start using a diamond core.

I’d like advice before striking out on either costly solution.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back