Drilling joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I am familiar with regs regarding drilling and notching of joists.

The solid upstairs wall if offset from downstairs wall by about 2ft. Upstairs wall wall built parallel to, and above a joist (and on top of floorboards).

I need to re-route some central heating pipes - will it still be ok to drill through this type of joist?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Depends on the span of the joist, its size, the weight of the wall it is carrying, and the size and position of your drilling.

If you glue and screw a strip of something like 500mm plyboard to the sides of the joist, you can drill outside the limits suggested in the approved document

If you glue and screw a strip of something like 500mm plyboard to the sides of the joist, you can drill outside the limits suggested in the approved document

+1, most of the details i send out are commonly like this detail.

Structural grade plywood min 9mm usually glued,screwed and fitted over the area you wish to drill and around 500mm eitherside of the area.

The thickness of ply really depends on what the problem is.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies. I will bear in mind the useful suggestion about adding ply.

The joists are 8x2. I would like to drill two 20mm holes within the x0.25 - x0.4 span range.

Would this still be ok bearing in mind that an unsupported masonary wall in built above the joist?

Thanks

I do appreciate that "properties have been lived in and survived from the year dot." However, I am aware that "improvements" can have a detrimental effect upon a property.

NigeF: is it your opinion that the two drilled holes (without ply) could risk the joist bowing?

Useful tip for anyone driling through a joist.

If it is near the centre of the span,it is not adviseable to do it like this. Hope this helps.

Useful tip for anyone driling through a joist.

If it is near the centre of the span,it is not adviseable to do it like this. Hope this helps.

LOL Classic example ... Its amazing how many plumbers actually do that though... we have to do at least 1 detail a month for things like this .. Always makes me giggle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back