Drilling through aluminium door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The back door looks like it was installed a quite a few years ago. This is the style of door handle:

6C32EEBA-F43E-4F6C-9EAD-5FD69EEED547_zpsfnfmj54h.jpg

I've replaced the barrel with an avocet euro cylinder and the sashlock has been upgraded to a modern yale/union one but the door handle is still old fashioned.

I can't seem to find a euro handle that will fit as a straight swap. The modern ones are much taller and hence I'm faced with the prospect of making my own holes.

Is there anything I need to look out for whilst drilling into an aluminium door? Can I use my Titan HSS drillbit?

Sponsored Links
Sure, a new HSS jobber drill will be fine.....centre punch the position first.
If you are going to use a self tapping screw, don't drill the hole too big - have a go on some scrap material first. You can always increase the size.
Make sure you can't make contact with any glass :eek:
John :)

Sponsored Links
Glass will go approx 20-25mm in behind the ali so you should be fine on that.
Biggest thing to watch out for is that your not screwing into the gearbox. As long as the new holes are further from lock than the existing ones you should be fine. If they are closer I would check the gearbox first.

@Gazman16 I imagine gearbox relates to multipoint locks? This is a simple sashlock. The door really needs to be updated to a multipoint or similar. The new holes will be well above and below the ends of the sashlock. I just need to make sure I don't hit anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back