Drilling through Chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a TV mounted on the chimney breast and want to hide the wires. The Sky box, PS etc will be kept in the alcove beside the chimney breast.

My plan is to drill though the chimney breast diagonally and feed the wires through. The issue is there will be 4 hdmi cables to Go through so it will need to be a fairly large hole.

Is this a good idea? I have a decent sds drill but will need a decent drill bit for the job.

Sponsored Links
Dont drill through any chimney breast - or any section of a chimney breast from basement to loft.
Its a potentially dangerous thing in terms of smoke, fumes or even fire.

Before working on flues its best practice for HETAS and GasSafe plumbers is to smoke test all flues for soundness ie no leaks.

Dont drill through any chimney breast - or any section of a chimney breast from basement to loft.
Its a potentially dangerous thing in terms of smoke, fumes or even fire.

Before working on flues its best practice for HETAS and GasSafe plumbers is to smoke test all flues for soundness ie no leaks.

I suspect that the OP might mean drilling at an angle (and hopefully not drilling in to the flue area).

Sponsored Links
I have a TV mounted on the chimney breast and want to hide the wires. The Sky box, PS etc will be kept in the alcove beside the chimney breast.

My plan is to drill though the chimney breast diagonally and feed the wires through. The issue is there will be 4 hdmi cables to Go through so it will need to be a fairly large hole.

Is this a good idea? I have a decent sds drill but will need a decent drill bit for the job.

The plastic/rubber part of the plug varies from one brand to another. If we assume that it is 2cm, you will need a whole large enough to accommodate the first three cables (let's say 3*7mm) plus the 2cm (plus a little wiggle room). All of a sudden you are looking at a drill bit that is 45mm wide. That is going to be a very expensive drill bit and is likely to be SDS max rather than SDS plus. Off the top of my head, it will cost hundreds of pounds- excluding the cost of the SDS Max drill.

Alternatively, you could drill four 25mm holes, one for each cable. A 25mm diameter by 1000mm length drill bit will be £20 to £30 and will be fine in most SDS (plus) drills. You may find it easier to use an an

As the others have suggested, do not allow the holes to penetrate through in to the flue.

Cheers for the help guys.

Yes the hole will be at an angle through the breast and at the moment we don't have a fire installed. Though we are soon getting a new gas fire put in and is was the installer who advised drilling through for the cables as the new fire will have a new flue installed with it.

You could just hack off the plaster and chase them in, if anything like mine (20m long and running through most of the house from ground floor to loft) they're quite flat. You might have to knock a bit off the corner of a brick to get them round, and stick a spare one in just in case.

I did think about chasing them in, but I want to be able to get to them and change them if technology advances and they need upgrading.

Advancement in TVs could possibly mean new HDMI cables are needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back