Drilling Tiles and plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to know peoples opinions on drilling tiles that are adhered to plaster board. In normal plaster board situations I would use hollow wall anchors, but obviously this method cannot be used where tiles are concerned due to the small grabber teeth unable to bite into the ceramic.

What would be the best solution, i.e. for a heavy duty shower screen. Is it enough to use normal plugs and screws? There has been the odd occasion (once) where I have used a 5.5mm drill bit with no8 screws and a tile cracked due to the stress (trying to get a nice tight bite and fit). Also, when in a situation where time is an issue and the tile adhesive may not have 100% dried, I do not want the tile to be pulled away from the wall.

When I am tiling and fitting the screen myself, I will often pre drill the holes and use hollow wall anchors, then drilling an access hole in the tile, this is by far the best way.

Thanks

Sam

Sponsored Links
Best to use foward planning,if Im fitting a bathroom and I know there will be a screen fitted I will cut a hole in the plasterboard and slide a bit of 2x3 inch timber in and fix it behind where the screen will go.

Then when tiled I can just mark the holes and drill through the tiles then fix straight into the timber.
If I haven't had the foresight to do this I use these
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31268...r-Spring-Toggle-M5-x-80mm-Drill-14-Pack-of-20

Also, when in a situation where time is an issue and the tile adhesive may not have 100% dried, I do not want the tile to be pulled away from the wall.

I would never chance this,rather come back the next day and fit the screen.

Thanks for the reply.

Re - spring toggles, dont you find they need a rather big hole to take them?

Sam

Sponsored Links
If you don't fit a batten, normal wall plugs are fine - just make sure you tap the plug beneath the tile surface to avoid cracking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back