Drilling two scary holes today - any tips?

You’re wrong about tungsten carbide masonry bits, I don't use anything else. Decent ones will drill through tiles with no problem at all, even porcelain; just keep the drill bit cool & don’t use the hammer action. But if you really want to waste your money on diamonds ;)

As for plastic; like speedfit, I would not go anywhere near it particularly in my own property.

Sponsored Links
So tomorrow it's off to B&Q to spend more money on some diamond drill bits for the tiles.

You can use a masonary bit to drill the tiles with no hammer action set on the drill

Thanks, my masonry bits are budget and poor. I'm just going to get the right tool for the job, can't be doing with re-tiling tomorrow.

Comments on the plastic please? I'm thinking copper would look better, no doubt, but is it worth it?
you can get these from screwfix, quite cheap. They will bust after 20 holes or so, but good up til then http://www.screwfix.com/p/glass-drill-5-x-70-6-x-76-and-8-x-83-3pcs/53634

You’re wrong about tungsten carbide masonry bits, I don't use anything else. Decent ones will drill through tiles with no problem at all, even porcelain; just keep the drill bit cool & don’t use the hammer action. But if you really want to waste your money on diamonds ;)

As for plastic; like speedfit, I would not go anywhere near it particularly in my own property.

Where did I mention tungsten carbide? I just said mine were crap, hence I was buying a new drill bit (the best thing for the job).

I may or may not re-plumb the plastic, depending on my mood tomorrow.

Thanks Mickyg, I'll go and pick them up tomorrow I think.

Sponsored Links
Yep, we'll see. I can't see that it makes that much difference though.

And I have to laugh at all these plumbers coming out of the woodwork criticising plastic, when half of them would have been perfectly happy using 15mm supply from the vent pipe for a a 3 bar pump without a dedicated cold feed :D.

Yep, we'll see. I can't see that it makes that much difference though.

And I have to laugh at all these plumbers coming out of the woodwork criticising plastic, when half of them would have been perfectly happy using 15mm supply from the vent pipe for a a 3 bar pump without a dedcated cold feed :D.

Yes , but then again they wouldn't be plumbers would they. ;)

Haha true. The only justification I can attempt to give, is that I simply can't be bothered. If people really think it's worth my time then I guess I'd better get it done!

It would have been textbook to put a valve here:
unledek.jpg

Where did I mention tungsten carbide? I just said mine were crap, hence I was buying a new drill bit (the best thing for the job).
No you didn’t mention what yours were, all I was saying is that you don’t really need to go the expense of diamond tipped drills but, as I said, your choice. The Screwfix ones in mickyg’s link are in fact tungsten carbide tipped.

And I have to laugh at all these plumbers coming out of the woodwork criticising plastic, when half of them would have been perfectly happy using 15mm supply from the vent pipe for a a 3 bar pump without a dedicated cold feed :D.
Not sure why the prickliness & Who said I was a plumber :!: & as for “happy using 15mm supply from the vent pipe for a 3 bar pump without a dedicated cold feed”; I design & install pumped shower systems often & properly, check out my posts if you want to see what else I do.

Only trying to give you the benefit of experience but, hey, good luck with it, I’ll be on me way. ;)

you can get these from screwfix, quite cheap. They will bust after 20 holes or so, but good up til then http://www.screwfix.com/p/glass-drill-5-x-70-6-x-76-and-8-x-83-3pcs/53634

I bought and used these, thanks they worked perfectly. So Richard C was spot on! Each diamond tipped drill bit was like £30 in the Screwfix catalogue :eek: .

Richard C, no prickliness and I wasn't referring to you. Apologies if I came across poorly, I very much appreciate all the help.

Anyway I have finished up this morning and the wife and I enjoyed a very nice shower. Impressions are that this pump is amazingly quiet, and it somehow seemed more 'gushy' than the previous one that broke, despite the new one being 1.5 bar and the old one being 2.0 bar :confused:. I suppose it's because I'm running 22mm to the pump instead of the 15mm that was?

Here's a YouTube vid of the pump in action (sorry it's on its side):

http://youtu.be/aKw3Teeq-yM?hd=1

Compared to the old broken Grundfos (yes it's knackered so it will sound terrible, but it was equally noisy before it broke):

http://youtu.be/1EB1-D6teG4?hd=1

Like a lawn mower :/.

With the airing cupboard door shut, you literally cannot hear it over the sound of the shower water hitting the bath floor.

ChrisR, I'll take note if there's a next time but won't bother putting on in now, I don't think.

hello grandad here

looks good all that fear for nothing give yourself a big pat on the back for a job well done

hello grandad here

looks good all that fear for nothing give yourself a big pat on the back for a job well done

:D Thanks grandad ;).

PS the copper push fits are currently rock solid and oh-so-easy to use! Love em! Whereas 2 out of five of my compression joints required maintenance (they were weeping as I forgot to put PTFE around the olives).

Nice job,we have all seen plenty of so called "professional installs" which your work would put to shame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back