drilling wall tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what type of bit do I require for drilling into wall tiles and any tips please on carring out this task

Sponsored Links
For small holes up to about 10mm you need a tile bit. It's like a TCT spear point in a steel shaft. Put some tape on the tile, this helps to stop the bit skidding off before the hole gets started.

I use normal masonary bits.
Put masking tape on the tile first, this will stop the drill skidding off

Sponsored Links
I've been very lucky drilling into tile, I haven't had one cracked yet! What I do is get the drill at its fastest speed using a sharp HSS bit and slowly like tap the surface of the tile. You will eventually get through the ceramic and then its easy sailing right the way through. Don't be tempted to drill a smaller hole first though, chances are when you run the bigger drill bit through it will crack it due to it catching. With practice you can do it without the use of masking tape! :cool:

I drill through tiles all the time - it's real easy unless they're porcelain. If they're porcelain you'll wish they weren't - you'll have to use a tile bit or one of those diamond grit mini core cutters if you need anything over about 8mm. Drilling porcelain should be done wet or your bits won't last long...

For normal ceramic tiles use a masonry bit. I always mark the exact spot by using a little (4mm) masonry bit like a centre punch and giving the tile a couple of very gentle taps. This ensures the bit you drill with won't wander anywhere. Make sure hammer is turned off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back