Drip from Heatrae Sadia Megaflo through Tundish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed a dripping from a pipe on the side of the house outside, once per second.
Traced it back to the tundish in my boiler cupboard. (between 1 and 6 below).

plumbing.jpg

Another photo:

https://kuula.co/share/7P9V6?fs=1&vr=0&zoom=1&thumbs=1&chromeless=0&logo=0

Looks like I need a plumber to come out and diagnose the fault. Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Follow the instructions on the label attached to the mega-flaw.

I've come across the same thing a couple of times. On both occasions it was the expansion vessel that was faulty. It has a rubber membrane inside that has air on one side, and water on the other. If the membrane gets a split in it and the water displaces the air, when the water is heated and expands it can no longer compress the air pocket and so drips out via the safety valve into the tundish. There are other possibilities though, a faulty pressure regulation valve or expansion valve may also cause dripping.

Unvented systems are not suitable for DIY repairs. If wrongly installed or maintained, they can become impressive rockets. Therefore, the Building Regulations require anyone that works on them to hold a G3 certificate as proof of competence.

It won't help with your problem, but what's going on here? This looks like a decapitated immersion heater sitting atop of a pipe.

Capture.PNG

Sponsored Links
Stem, the Megaflow does not have an external expansion vessel, it has an internal air pocket.

OP, follow the instructions on a large sticker on the side of the Megaflow, or ask Heatrae tech for advice if you can't find it.

asktoby best get it looked at (g3 tech req) it may be save able (y)

There may have been an ad-hock alteration involving fitting of an external expansion vessel and the 1-5 label has not been removed.

who knows :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back