Water dripping constantly through tundish in airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last week or so there has been water dripping through the tundish in the airing cupboard. The water exits out a pipe to the rear of the house.

Is this normal behaviour for this time of year when the weather is warm and the central heating is not on? I'd be really grateful if anyone could explain what causes water to drip through, and whether or not it is a problem.

I've put a couple of photos below.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
PRV faulty or pressures are exceeding system design.
The tundish is there to "warn" you that something is amiss - As said above you need a G3 engineer to assess!

Sponsored Links
The red line on the PRV is at 1.2 bar. I've read via google that the pressure should be between 1 and 2 bar so this would indicate the pressure is correct I think.

IMG_5419.JPG

Last edited:
I've just had a closer look.

There aren't any other gauges in the airing cupboard. This gauge is attached near the top of the red expansion tank.

Actually the reading is 0.8 - the red line at 1.2 is fixed and part of the plastic cover I believe.

So the pressure is actually less than what it should be.

That gauge has nothing to do with the issues you have.

That guage is showing you the pressure of your primary water system or in laymans terms the water that is inside your radiators, it is actually a little bit low and there will be a filling loop that you can open to top it up , should be about 1.5 Bar when cold, the red indicator is just a pointer to advise you that the water pressure is getting low, as already advised this set up has nothing whatsoever to do with the water that is passing into the tundish, without seeming rude you do not really seem to grasp the concept of the system you have and would be well advised to have a G3 qualified engineer have a look at it for you

That guage is showing you the pressure of your primary water system or in laymans terms the water that is inside your radiators, it is actually a little bit low and there will be a filling loop that you can open to top it up , should be about 1.5 Bar when cold, the red indicator is just a pointer to advise you that the water pressure is getting low, as already advised this set up has nothing whatsoever to do with the water that is passing into the tundish, without seeming rude you do not really seem to grasp the concept of the system you have and would be well advised to have a G3 qualified engineer have a look at it for you

You're not being rude at all. You're spot on. I have a basic understanding of the system but wish I knew more - especially when problems occur.

Will call the plumber tomorrow.

You're not being rude at all. You're spot on. I have a basic understanding of the system but wish I knew more - especially when problems occur.

Will call the plumber tomorrow.
When you call around looking for someone to attend make sure you tell them that you have an unvented hot water cylinder, this is what the G3 refers to that keeps getting mentioned your engineer will need this qualification in order to sort out your problem, if you are struggling to find someone call the manufacturer of your cylinder and ask if they can attend or recommend someone that covers your post code, if the problem is what I think it is its a very easy fix but not something for the untrained to be messing around with

Lol. Meant to say call A plumber tomorrow. Usually only need a plumber for the yearly boiler service.

No! Call a G3 Engineer! Who is qualified to diagnose and work on 'unvented' systems - they can be as/if not more dangerous than working on Gas!

When water is heated, it expands and creates some pretty destructive forces... In an unvented system this expansion has to be dealt with via 'safety' release valves - otherwise catastrophic results can occur!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back