Dripping Auto Air Vent Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,

My AAVV is dripping steadily, despite having done up the plastic cap as tight as it will go. Will I need to drain the whole system down, or is it possible to replace or repair it where it is? I understand some valves do have a check valve to allow you to remove them without draining down the system, but I don't fancy taking the risk of being inundated with mucky water. Have uploaded pic of the valve - any recommendations on what type I need? Obviously keen to avoid further problems!

Thanks for any helpful thoughts.

Brian

Sponsored Links
The brass coupling below the auto air vent would appear to be a spring loaded valve, ie you should be able to unscrew the air vent and replace with minimal water loss.

Is there sufficient clearance to the wood above. Prepare for the valve not to seal though.

Personally though I never fit auto air vents to conventional set-ups...always use a 1/2 rad bleed valve screwed into a 1/2 FI coupling.

I took the liberty of posting your pic so others could see it.

If it was This type you wouldnt need to drain the system. :cry: ......

Might be worth investing in some pipe freezer to save draining off and clearing any airlocks later :idea:

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys for your helpful comments - and to you Anybody for posting the pic. I couldn't figure out how to do that.

Maybe I'll try the freezing route, saves the time and hassle of a complete drain.

There seem to be a number of different types of valve available - any suggestions on which type is best?

Any help is much appreciated.

Brian

Ass GG says, you shouldn't need an auto vent really, and the manual ones don't leak! The 1/2" fitting rad valves sold in the sheds would be fine.

hi all

Just to let anyone who may be interested know - in the end I took the safe option of draining down the heating system, very easy even for a novice plumber, cleared the muck out of the expansion tank and flushed it all through - and replaced the valve. It looks as if I should have been able to unscrew it without draining it down (as gasguru said) but what I did seemed safer and not difficult. So I'm feeling confident for my next task.

Anyway all working hunky dory now - here's a pic of my shiny new valve.

Thanks for all the help.

Brian
GALLERY]
[/url]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back