Dripping/creaking noise ensuite

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,
So in my ensuite when the shower is on,tap is on or toliet is fushed I can sometimes hear like a banging creaking or dripping noise.
I have no signs of water on any ceiling or anything else that would indicate a leak,although what else could it be?
The drain pipes are not accessible so my question is,is there a solution like leak sealer I can pour down the drains to seal any potential pin hole leak???
As I say there is nothing to suggest a drain leak other than the nuisance noise.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Nope

Do you mean there is a ticking, clicking noise when you run water, especially warm water, down the waste that runs into the main stack?
Yeah that is it,I will see if it is specific to the hot

I wouldn't worry about the specifics ... usually the problem that creates that is a plastic soil pipe system (normally push fit) that is expanding and contracting and it's the process of that movement that makes the pipe, it's supports and it's connections rub together creating the clicking/ticking.

Unfortunately the only fix I've ever found to stop that is to strip the stack out, lubricate (silicone grease) the connections, check clearances from anything that may touch/rub against the stack, refit the supports with felt (internal) and then put it all back together.

I wouldn't worry about the specifics ... usually the problem that creates that is a plastic soil pipe system (normally push fit) that is expanding and contracting and it's the process of that movement that makes the pipe, it's supports and it's connections rub together creating the clicking/ticking.

Unfortunately the only fix I've ever found to stop that is to strip the stack out, lubricate (silicone grease) the connections, check clearances from anything that may touch/rub against the stack, refit the supports with felt (internal) and then put it all back together.

Thanks for that
That sounds like what is it alright.
My fear was a leak
So at the minute the problem does not warrant the repair,but at least I understand the noise now...I was unable to recreate this morning so the expanding and contradicting esp when the missus uses the shower makes sense

Sometime you can get away with twisting and manipulating the joints of the couplers/branches, just to flex the seals but that can be difficult sometimes, especially if it's been in for a while as the joints can become really tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back