Dripping toilet system valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had problems for several months with my pressure actuated whole house pump running for a couple of seconds regularly through the night. I have traced the cause to be the toilet cisterns (2) dripping regularly although the valves should be closed. My plumber tells me that they all do this until the correct water level is reached. But this goes on through the night and is most annoying. I have had both valve systems (ball, valve and bottom entry piping) replaced but it has made no difference unless I hold the ball valve down for a minute or two when the cistern appears to be full which cures that problem until one of the toilets is flushed again. Another plumber advises me to switch to a Fluidmaster valve but there is not room for this at the side of the siphon. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Get something like fluidmaster equilibrium valves. They fill the cistern in a minute or so and then stop. You have old float valves with a lever arm and they can take ages to completely fill the cistern.

Are you 100% sure the flushing valve is not dribbling very slightly into the pan. Dry the back face of the pan with paper and shine a torch on it to see if you are losing water.

Sponsored Links
I would like to say a big thank you for your replies to my problem. First to Andy, who suggested a timer on the pump. It's stupid but I already have an adjustable timer on the pump but, being an old fool (83), I have gone all round the problem before trying the obvious. My only excuse is that the timer is difficult to get at being at the side of the hot water cylinder!
Also thanks to leakydave - but there is not enough clearance between the cistern inner edge and the siphon to get a Fluidmaster in. Lastly, thanks to The 831 Bunny. We tried his solution in the first place, as there was indeed a small leak from the base of the siphon on one toilet but, despite a plumbers bill for over a hundred quid to fix it, this made no difference to the pump running intermittently.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back