Dripping Vaillant Sine 18 T3WF H

Changing a stuffing box is dead easy and they only cost a couple of quid. Once you have the water turned off and the 4 connections to the whole water section disconnected you can remove the whole section and it's only held up there by one grub screw!!! Here's the catch......the screw is most likely seized in because of the leak. It could be a timetaking drill and retap or 3 litres of WD40 and hours of patience to get it out. The later vaillant model you can just drill the grub screw out and replace the whole bracket but I'm not sure you'd get one for the sine 18.

Sponsored Links
Just had an engineer round. He reckons it's the hydraulic valve that's leaking and that to fix it with all the work involved would cost in the region of £1000. Unfortunately we're in the process of selling (!) and he said that any surveyor would likely recommend replacing the boiler anyway even with the fix in place.

So basically I think we just live with the leak and hope that the place sells. For a (even more reduced) price! :cry:

No repair on a Vaillant can cost a £1000, he's ripping you off.

Check the stuffing box (cheap part)...have a look inside the control box.

If it is then see if the screw holding on the water section can be loosened.

Sponsored Links
Just had an engineer round. He reckons it's the hydraulic valve that's leaking and that to fix it with all the work involved would cost in the region of £1000.
Thats some plumbers way of saying :- "Sorry mate I don't want the job"

You can also read into it one of the following
1. "I haven't got a clue but I know if I do get this job I will be stuck on it for days while I fathom it out"
2. "I see a potential domino effect here and whatever I touch is going to turn bad and other parts will drop off while I am working on this old tin can"

Spot on Anybody! He actually said number 2!

He did point out a different issue though - when he visited, the pressure gauge was low so he topped it up to around 2 bar. 30 mins later the pressure was down to just under 1 bar. Of course, by then he was on his way out the door. The pressure seemed to stabilise itself at about 0.5 bar.

Other than the dripping problem, which is only when the hot water is running, I haven't noticed any leak. Any ideas what that might be?

The idiot topped up the pressure too high....0.5 to 1 bar is plenty for these old boilers in a standard 2 storey house. Of course pressurising it so high is a good way to make it leak and get a new boiler install out of you.

I suspect the pressure hit 3 bar once the heating kicked in and although the safety valve opened it re-sealed itself hence pressure drop.

The expansion vessel will almost certainly be low on charge or flat (especially if the boiler is hard up against a wall on the left hand side) where the schrader valve is located.

Just check the stuffing box seal and water section locking screw and fix it yourself.

Is there any space on the left?

Has anyone checked the air pressure?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back