Drippy Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Hope everyone is safe.
Sorry if this is a dumb question but my bathroom two has been dripping for a while even when it is tightly shut off. Do I need to replace the tap or what can I do?

thanks all

Attachments

• CA1CBB22-E5F1-429E-A8C9-2B316C20887D.jpeg
    CA1CBB22-E5F1-429E-A8C9-2B316C20887D.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 165
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If it's a basin you'll need a 1/2" washer. It may just be a standard flat type washer but the washer type/shape can vary depending on the tap type you have so you'll need to take it apart first.

Are you in a hard water area? If that pic's anything to go by you'll need some serious limescale remover before you start.

If it's a basin you'll need a 1/2" washer. It may just be a standard flat type washer but the washer type/shape can vary depending on the tap type you have so you'll need to take it apart first.

Are you in a hard water area? If that pic's anything to go by you'll need some serious limescale remover before you start.
Depends on the valve ,they vary .You would have to remove it to find out.

Thank you both, yes I am in a hard water area the dripping just annoyed me and the mess it makes throughout the day! just a quick one I have removed the cap and the screw but came seem to lift the nob off? do I need to switch the cold water off

Yes you need to isolate water before removing valve from tap .The knob is probably fused to the spline of the valve with limescale. Pouring very hot water over the knob may expand it a bit
and aid removal.
Sometimes it's better to just buy and fit new taps.

Get tap revivers as stated above. Much simpler. although my preferred method would be replace the taps as them type are dirt cheap and you’d do it in the same to replace the washers.

swan basin taps

Get tap revivers as stated above. Much simpler. although my preferred method would be replace the taps as them type are dirt cheap and you’d do it in the same to replace the washers.

swan basin taps

your right the tap is drippy again :mad:

Its what we try and convince customers of all the time...i wont repair (cheap) taps anymore as when they start leaking again (as you have discovered), we're expected to come back FOC!
aha i don't blame you! what are the decent ones out there?

Its what we try and convince customers of all the time...i wont repair (cheap) taps anymore as when they start leaking again (as you have discovered), we're expected to come back FOC!
will the tap revivers do the job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back