Drivers Licence.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To hire he van I've got to produce my drivers licence. I've dug it out and realised that it is a paper one with an address I left 11 years ago. How do I get a new one? Is it a form from the Post Office plus a photo?

Sponsored Links
That's handy. That Government gateway - is that the same as Tax Self Assessment gateway?

Sponsored Links
yep its a form and photo first time around. be warned though, one of my guys needed to renew his and its taken 5 weeks to come through. My replacement only took 5 days at the beginning of the year!

The fact that it's an old paper one isn't a problem Joe as they are still valid and you may still register changes to them. The issue is that it has an old address on it and you should have notified the DVLA when you changed address.

Two options ...

Fill in the address change on the back and send it off and you will receive a new paper one or apply for a new style photocard licence online.

On a pragmatic note, the van hire firm won't know that you don't live at the address on your licence so you shouldn't have a problem hiring the van if you can't wait for the change ;)

MW

Two options ...

Fill in the address change on the back and send it off and you will receive a new paper one or apply for a new style photocard licence online.

MW

They won't issue a new paper licence, gotta go photo there's no choice. Web site linked to above says they may be able to pull a photo from the Passport Service, otherwise it's got to be posted.

To hire he van I've got to produce my drivers licence. I've dug it out and realised that it is a paper one with an address I left 11 years ago. How do I get a new one? Is it a form from the Post Office plus a photo?

Make sure you take copies of your current licence before sending it to DVLA - I know of several cases where a new licence has been issued and previous driving entitlements are no longer displayed. e.g. HGV drivers receiving replacement licences with no entitlement to drive HGVs.

On a pragmatic note, the van hire firm won't know that you don't live at the address on your licence so you shouldn't have a problem hiring the van if you can't wait for the change ;)

MW

Last couple of times I've hired a van I've needed 2 recent proofs of address which I presume they check against the license address.

yep its a form and photo first time around. be warned though, one of my guys needed to renew his and its taken 5 weeks to come through. My replacement only took 5 days at the beginning of the year!

Thermo, you might be able to explain this being an ex forces man. When you renew your licence why do the DVLA not automatically remove any spent endorsements, why do you HAVE to pay for them to be taken off? Ah, I think I've answered my own dumb question.

Also, is it / was it true that in the olden daze before all the computer nonsense that an office didn't have the right to open your licence up to see what endorsements you already had, or am I just making that up?

Also, is it / was it true that in the olden daze before all the computer nonsense that an office didn't have the right to open your licence up to see what endorsements you already had, or am I just making that up?
Apparently, it's so that they aren't influenced by any previous behaviour and points/fines, in deciding what to do with you, or letting you off with a flea in the ear.

However, if you keep it in that plastic wallet and squeeze it from the top, it opens on the convicitions bit, anyhow. Hence, never give it over on the roadside and accept a producer.

They won't issue a new paper licence, gotta go photo there's no choice. Web site linked to above says they may be able to pull a photo from the Passport Service, otherwise it's got to be posted.
When did this happen Blondini ... I got a replacement about 6 weeks ago?

MW

When did this happen Blondini ... I got a replacement about 6 weeks ago?

MW

Don't know when 'they' stopped issuing paper licences but it was more than six weeks ago. See page 5 for change of address and bottom of page 9 for replacement. http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/d100.pdf

The photocard licence comes with a paper counterpart...

They hadn't stopped issuing paper versions as at the 25th of Feb as this is when I got my replacement.

I guess they had some cutover period between issuing the guidance and implementing it.

MW

Sponsored Links
Back