Driveway advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm looking to redo my driveway at the moment it just ugly concrete with a few patches where a new gas main went in
I was thinking of laying 2x2 slabs over the existing drive but is this possible using only a thin bed of sand/cement
Plan 2 was just dump pea shingle over it ?
Plan 3 was to have Tarmac assuming it can go over the existing ?
What would be the most cost effective
Any thoughts suggestions please

Sponsored Links
Is that an absolute must it is quite a large drive it takes about 4-5 cars
I do intend to take some bits out to make areas for planting etc but if taking it all up is the only way then it's a job that will probably not get done as the amount of waste (skips etc) would cost me a fortune
Looking at the levels I have got room to raise it by a few inches

The concrete can stay and there should be no problem with slabbing or paving over it, or tarmacing. Gravel will probably just keep shifting and exposing the concrete beneath.

Sponsored Links
What is the condition of the concrete ?

If cracked and displaced in places I would say do as Noseall said, lose it and start again.

If its sound and even then overlaying another finish is OK, but with the increase thickness you have to watch your house DPC, does't end up close to the ground as mfarrow has indicated.

I am not sure that tarmac over concrete would be a good idea. You are probably thinking of just a wearing course and that could end up being pushed around by turning cars. Gravel OK if you don't mind raking it back into place now and then! Slabs OK but difficult to lay with full bed that you need and will probably end up cracking when driven over.

Concrete well laid will outlast tar by decades.
My own yard and laneway was brush finished concrete 20 years ago which replaced tar that did about 8 years service.
Still in the same condition today. And has heavy traffic.
The heavy frost a few years ago had no effect on it.

That's because it was 35n laid with almost zero slump and power screeded.
Most people won't pay for that service of course. They get a price then go with the cheapest and get what they deserve.

Thanks all for your input
The existing drive is sound it's had a few bits patched up due to new services being put under it some time ago
The DPC is not a problem the existing is below that and I do intend to take out some of the concrete to create a planting border where it meets the house anyway
My plan so far is to put a brick edging around my borders to stop the gravel spilling over onto the soil then just dumping gravel to cover the ugly concrete
I know it's not the best idea but it's a cheap quick fix for me that I can do myself
I have had gravel before and I do remember it being a bit of a pain as some of it ends up on the pavement outside
So the other idea was to at least cover the area coming off the pathway leading to the house with slabs and gravel the remainder
But I would obviously be driving over the slabs so on a thin bed of sand and cement would they crack and move so would I be better off sticking with plan A.?
Just another maybe silly idea is it possible to dump a layer of sharp sand and block pave over the lot ?
I know block paving isn't cheap but if I can use the existing drive as a base it would save a whole lot of work and a shed load of skips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back