Driveway base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been doing my driveway over the past week and for my first go I am doing ok but got abit confused with the depth. I dug down 200mm as I thought you need 100 of MOT type when compacted not 100mm then 75mm cvompacted. I also got told you needed 50mm sand or mortor bed not 25mm then 50mm flag. Is this information correct as I got 3 tonne dropped off but will need more type 1 to raise it more if these hights are correct. It is a 25m2 driveway I am doing ?

If they are not right and I already have enough I am assumign I can just drop the string line a bit aas I have put my kerbs in and its running on a slope. ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The 100mm is the depth after compaction and really for a driveway most people would go to 150mm.

As for your sand or mortar it entirely depends on what your laying?

The 100mm is the depth after compaction and really for a driveway most people would go to 150mm.

As for your sand or mortar it entirely depends on what your laying?

Thanks for that, I will justy get another 2 or so Tonne MOT type 1 then. I am laying 50mm 2 x 2 concrete flags. What do you suggest for the bedding layer ?

I normally lay them on 30mm compacted screeded grit sand.

Others prefer to lay them on mortar as it allows for consolidation and fine tuning whereas with screeded sand the bed has to be almost perfect because if the flag is rocking there is no real give it in the bed to consolidate.

Sponsored Links
I think I will go with a screed. Two questions :

1) What ration sand to cement fr screed ?

2) How deep should the screed be ?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back