driveway gate post dilema

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
i want to put up a driveway gate next to my house. the drive is pretty narrow so every MM will count to get future cars into the garage. my problem is how to attach one of the posts to a low wall.

i want to put up a 5 ft gate, the width of the drive is 7ft.

One of tha gate posts will attach to the side of the house, no probs. but the other post is against a low wall of 85cm high, with my elevated neighbours wall is right behind it, around 22cm from face to face, it is maybe 9ft tall, but i want to avoid attching to their wall if poss.
a pic say a thousand words so heres the situation.

im not sure whether to:
a- use a thick 175mm post and just sink it 3 ft (if this is even possible with the wall foundations so close) into the ground with out attching to the wall,

b-use a 70mm thick post and attach the bottom 2/3rds it to the low wall, then somehow attach the top of the post to the neighbours wall somehow.

c- use a 100mm post and sink it 3ft as well as attach it to just the low wall.

any ideas greatfully recieved.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back