Driveway gate posts/hinges problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm planning on putting up a pair of driveway gates (approx 8' wide 7' high) between my neighbour's house and my own.

I was planning to fix a 100mm fence post to both my wall and my neighbour's (who kindly agreed) and set each into the concrete base also. I will fix the posts with shield anchors into each wall as well as putting an L bracket or two behind each to further stabilize it.

I was planning to put another post across the top of the posts to resist 'pulling in' with the weight of the gates. I'll joint these together, glue and screw.

Where my knowledge runs out is hinges. I know to use as long ones as I can get, and know to use the ones that have a separate band and bracket.
p2735640_l.jpg

What I don't know is what the difference is between straight hinges and 'cranked' hinges for my application.

Here are my two diagrams. I want to put the gates on the front of the posts so that the gates can shut against the top bar (and hide it) as well as maximising 'open width.)

What are your thoughts about hinges, whether I should fix hinges to the back or front of the gates etc.
gatehingefrontsr1.png

gatehingebackjh4.png

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back