Driveway material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to get our front garden/driveway done and looking for some advice on the driveway material.

Front garden is small and will be mostly for the cars. Few raise sleeper beds around the outside and some blocks or sleepers for the cars to actually drive onto, everything else filled with gravel.

Initially thinking a light grey gravel, but seeing as we're on the south coast we were thinking about a more 'beach' inspired feel - beaches in our area are pebbles. So we though these might look nice instead. Smaller stuff for most of it, getting bigger around the edges/corners for a bit of variation.

So would pebbles work? If yes - what size would be advisable? Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking that precariousness would be affected by the size?

Thinking between 20mm dove grey limestone gravel or 20mm - 40mm pebbles.

It will work, just nowhere near as well as angular/crushed stone. It's a bit like walking on marbles. And if laid too deep, like wading through a ball pit. They'll also move about more ie escape over the edges

Sponsored Links
Yeah - I was thinking that same about walking on it. Also them pinging about. But they will look so much better!

Just wanted to get some thoughts/advice from anyone with experience.

They have their uses, but I personally feel that for a drive their cons outway their pros.

Pros
Reasonable cheap
Can hear when anyone (person or car) walks on it as is noisy and so know when someone approaching house.
Water soaks away

Cons
If too deep car can sink when driving, not issue but need more revs and clutch control (more noise).
Can hear when anyone (person or car) walks on it as can be very noisy.
Pebbles move from driveway area onto road and footpath so have to pick them up.
Bad for push chairs and elderly if they have to walk on it for any distance.

SFK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back