Driveway spec.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to construct a new driveway and parking/turning area in my garden. This will be followed later with a new garage and workshop adjacent to it.

Can anyone advise what sort of spec I need to create the driveway and parking area? I'm thinking not hard surfaced in the first instance just compacted fill, but hard surfacing later as cash permits.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Depends on drainage? It either needs to be permeable or include drains running to a soak away. I think you need to decide which before you work out a spec. What's the area? Anything over 5m² needs planning permission.

Thanks for that. I didn't know about the 5m2 requirement. How does that figure with PD? Is it only for front gardens in suburbia?

It's a long, c.50m drive to go into a half acre garden out in the sticks. The adjacent new garage will be for 3/4 cars and a log store and garden store. Not sure I need PP for that as it should be OK within PD. Strange I can build a building but not a drive/pathway! Do people get PP for hard landscaping?

If I go for hard surfacing then it will have soakaways. I'll have another think. I was hoping to first build with compacted limestone or similar then tarmac later if the surface didn't stand up to manouvreing cars, etc.

Edit: just googled driveway planning permission and the 5m2 req seems to only be for paving front gardens, which mine is not so I don't think it applies. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back