Droopy downlighters - Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having my roof re-done and I have just gone into my loft bedroom and noticed that 2 downlighters have 'dropped'. They aren't swinging or anything like that but it looks like the arms that go against the topside of the ceiling have pinged back into the vertical-ish position and the lights have dropped down a few centimetres.
I have no way of accessing these from lights above - is their any magic trick to ping the wingy bits back open from below or will they have to stay as a design feature?

Sponsored Links
If I resecure them and pop them back in how do they open once back in the hole? Sorry to be so dim :oops:

its a bit hard to describe how they work but there are 2 metal arms attatched to the sides normally,that can be twisted up so that they push against the ceiling when the spots are pushed into their holes,if that makes any sense,they are normally very strong and snap down quite hard on fingers!

Sponsored Links
The springs form an L - the long bit clamps against the back of the ceiling, the short bit clamps against the side of the lamp, the overall effect being to push the lamp up tight.

When you push it back in, the long bits go up first. The short bits will touch the bottom of the ceiling board and as you apply pressure, will spring back and force the lamp the rest of the way. mind those fingers.

As ch427 says it's 2 metals arms - a short one and a longer one - the longer goes up into the hole and the smaller one against the ceiling and push - should snap flush with the ceiling

This pic shows what they look like (assuming you have the same type of fixing :))

p1590254_x.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back