"Drop down" system&unable to split hot water w

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would like to hear a bit of advise on this topic.
I have what here in Ireland the plumbers call "drop down" system. I was told this is identified when ground floor radiator pipes come from the wall and not from the floor. Anyway, the thing is that all the time I turn the heat on also heats the hot water in the water cylinder. Also there is no thermostat in the cylinder so wonder if I am wasting a lot oil overheating the water in the cylinder.

I can turn on the hot water separately, normally used during summer months.

So my question is:
Is it possible for me to heat radiators without having to heat the hot water? If so, what work would it take?

Also, would people recommend to fit a cylinder thermostat in my case?

Thanks in advance for the advise.

Sponsored Links
You probably have a gravity hot water system and as it is it is operating normally. To do what you suggest would require the addition of motorised valve/s and some electrical and pipe work upgrades. Your plumber should be able to do all this and it will improve your system. Simply fitting a cylinder stat will do nothing unless you fit the other parts as suggested.
What boiler do you have?

You probably have a gravity hot water system and as it is it is operating normally. To do what you suggest would require the addition of motorised valve/s and some electrical and pipe work upgrades. Your plumber should be able to do all this and it will improve your system. Simply fitting a cylinder stat will do nothing unless you fit the other parts as suggested.
What boiler do you have?
Yes it is a gravity system. You are right.

The boiler is outdoor warmflow kabin pack 21-26k.

After carrying this work and I am looking to fit a Hive or Owl intuition but I guess that is a completely different matter here.

Alongside upgrading your system you can fit those type of controls at the same time. I'm not familiar with your boiler, but it appears to be a modern oil boiler?

Sponsored Links
Alongside upgrading your system you can fit those type of controls at the same time. I'm not familiar with your boiler, but it appears to be a modern oil boiler?
Yes it was only fitted last year. It is a condensed high efficient one A rated.

Thanks for the advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back