Dropping a 6x6 fence panel into place?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone found an easy way to man (or woman) handle a 6x6 panel, from the top, into the slots in concrete posts. They are not my panels, I have reinforced them so they will no spring in/out. Plenty of ladders I've got, thinking maybe long ladder, lashed to shorter ladder, with a rope over top rung? Ladders guyed, to stop them falling sideways??? Any better ways please???

Sponsored Links
Two people of average strength. Anything less is downright dangerous. I have recently done 12 5 foot panels with concrete gravell boards. I did it with my son in law and even then if the wind catches the panels they can act like a sail. Nearly broke my wrist a couple of times.

Two people of average strength. Anything less is downright dangerous. I have recently done 12 5 foot panels with concrete gravell boards. I did it with my son in law and even then if the wind catches the panels they can act like a sail. Nearly broke my wrist a couple of times.

Exactly! We both tried to manoeuvrer the panel in yesterday, but even the light breeze proved too much to contend with.

Attach a pair of loop handles on each side half way up the panel through the battens with some nylon string or similar.

Sponsored Links
2 bits off 2x1" timber 8 or 9ft long clamped to the top overlapping by say2 inch for safety and 20-30 " sticking out the bottom and another clamp on the bottom edge
now can be done by a single person baton in the middle but much easier with 2 people 2 battons and 1ft from each edge

I use a high step ladder right next to posts and walk it up . Though I have a big arm span of over 74” so makes single handed jobs a little easier.

Assuming it isn't windy ,....

Not too easy to explain this without pictures.

Place a support in the slot in one of the posts. Needs to be about 5ft
This could be a piece of wood but it needs to be a fairly tight fit.
Alternatively if you have a clamp you could clamp this around the post to form a support.
Now raise one end of the panel and push into the slot resting on the support.
Now lift the other end of the panel and slide into the slot being careful not to pull the first side off the support.
Whilst you are lifting, you also need to keep pushing towards the first side.
You will need to be fairly tall or on a secure stepladder to do this.
It should drop down about one foot to level it with the other end.
Now carefully remove the support and the panel should drop down.
Keep your hands well away!

I used this method with five foot panels a few weeks ago, once I'd done a couple it became quite easy.

Pity I didn't take some photos!

I'm not recommending you to this without assistance, particularly with 6 ft panels.
I offer no guarantee that this is a safe procedure.
If in doubt don't do it.

We managed it, this evening.....

She (Avril) had repaired the panel, with a horizontal full width timber, 2/3rds up from the panel bottom. I tightly lashed my lightest long ladder, onto the back of the tallest pair of steps I have (the back is the more vertical). A long rope then, over second rung down, tied to the over horizontal. She eased the panel up, as I pulled on the rope and braced the steps, plus ladder, she then eased the panel into the slots.

It worked just fine. Too be clear, it's not one of my panels, it belongs to our, mostly absent, next door neighbour.

2 bits off 2x1" timber 8 or 9ft long clamped to the top overlapping by say2 inch for safety and 20-30 " sticking out the bottom and another clamp on the bottom edge
now can be done by a single person baton in the middle but much easier with 2 people 2 battons and 1ft from each edge
just to add in case its not clear what you infact have is a fence panel above your head but with a lever underneath to give you easy and full control reducing danger from gusts and overbalancing but still be wary off any wind as even low levels will catch you out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back