Dropping a Chimney...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a tall narrow chimney which leaks in certain strong wind directions (in practice a frequency of about once every 18 months.)

In my imagination it looks as thought a slight puff of wind would knock it down although I'm sure it's a good deal stronger than it looks.

Been quoted £1000 to take it down below roof level and tile over or Approx £250 to find the leak and fix it/cap it properly.

I'm tempted to have it taken down but I'm a bit concerned about the risk of damage caused by scaffolding etc. (There's a brand new flat roof below it and I'm terrified it's get punctured.)

Should I man up and just get it taken down? Or get it 'fixed' and leave it where it is.

Is there any chance they could take it down and find the remaining gap is the wrong width for the tiles to cover?

Sponsored Links
Just have chimney caps fitted. They are sometimes called an Elephant's foot and cost about £40 per cap. Make sure that the fitter leaves a small gap between the cap and the chimney - you need some air flow. Also make sure that you have an air brick fitted to the chimney as well for the same reason if there isn't one there already.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back