Drum adrift from centre hub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's a CDA CI992.
Not been over-used, but the drum is now obviously not securely attached to the centre drive spindle.
Is this likely to be economical to repair?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like maybe the drum bearing has collapsed, but I can't find one anywhere for your model. Perhaps you should contact their customer support for parts if you can establish that is what you need.

The spindle turns smoothly, so I don't reckon it's the bearings at all. Think it's the actual physical connection at the back of the drum.
In fact looking into the drum, I can see an off-set 'dimple' like it's been just 'hanging on', if you know what I mean.
Thanks for your help though.

Unless you could give me hope, I'm about to give up on it.

Sponsored Links
Well I couldn't find a drum assy. either, just a spider, so I think you are going to struggle. How old is the machine, would you have a claim under "of merchandisable quality legislation" if you have not used it much?

Perhaps a bit of a bum steer with the 'not over-used' comment.

It's probably ten years old, and been subject to numerous tenants during.

Time for the landlord to get his cheque book out.

The attached looks like the spider for your machine. As I can't see any thread in the holes, I assume there is EITHER a screw stud welded to the back of the drum (this might show as dimple inside the drum) which has either failed OR a nut the other side of the spider has worked loose. So it may be repairable.

I've replaced the spider and bearing on an old Hotpoint many years ago - where the bearing had seized solid on the spider. IIRC, it took me about 5 hours. My motivation to fix was we had a set of matching appliances in a colour Hotpoint called almond - which they had discontinued by the time the washer failed, so it was worth the effort and cost in my case.

Things to consider in your case:

A washer dryer has a lot more gubbins in than my washer did - so it won't be as easy to completely strip down
Even if the bearing is OK, I'd be tempted to replace it whilst the machine is in so many bits
Make sure the screws/nuts you use are stainless steel (I used A4 marine grade)

If it's 10 years old, I doubt you'll have much recourse.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• CDA.jpg
    CDA.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
As it is 10 years old and not the easiest of jobs, I used to repair Hotpoints, I would suggest getting a new machine. Even better if you aren't the landlord!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back