Washing Machine - Drum Spider loose, uneconomic to repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are living in New Zealand, and have just been contacted by our letting agency - managing our 1 brm flat in Croydon - with the following info:

the drum spider has come away from the drum making this integrated washing machine beyond economic repair a like for like can be got from Spendales for £600 or a cheaper option would be to put a silver freestanding in it's place they can do that for £350, call me if you want me to talk you through it

It's an integrated machine, but I don't know the manufacturer or model (I'm going to contact the tenant to find out but it's not obvious...)

Is that a fair report? I'm always a bit sceptical!!

Cheers,
Danny

Sponsored Links
Oh, and I meant to mention the product is only about 5 years old...

drum spider coming away from drum

never heard of that before , let alone thought it possible without malice

OK, so assuming it does have the spider coming away from the drum, would that not be economic to repair?

Trying to understand if I really would need to buy a new washing machine, or if it's worth looking at repairing.

I'm not very familiar with front loaders, but I do work for an appliance design company in NZ - on Dishwashers though!

Sponsored Links
the drum spider bolts on to the inner drum ,its poss snapped ,could have damaged heater.have you googled the make and model for prices ,as you have put no model number on here.

Unfortunately, I don't have the Make / Model of the Washing Machine. We used to live in the flat, but the product had no branding. I've asked our tenant to try and find a serial label or something on the machine but at this stage they can't find anything.

I found a picture of the machine from when we bought the flat about 5 years ago - any ideas who made this one?

I've asked our letting agency to confirm make / model of the products they are suggesting to install as a replacement. I'm wondering if my best bet is to just buy a standard (non-integrated) machine myself from Currys or somewhere and have it installed?

At the moment, the washing machine is still running. I'm assuming the heater is OK. It's apparently just a bit noisey!

Danny

Also,

Scrap it it's a servis ,they went bust 2 years ago parts are dificult to get

Those are a pain to work on, welded construction so don't come apart.

Could be badged as many different makes but as rocks said Servis built machine not worth it.

Wow, that's pretty clear-cut!!

The flats were re-furbished by a developer, so I didn't think it was a top end appliance :confused:

What would be a good reliable brand / model (cheaper end of the scale - say up to £300/350) to replace it with? I'd prefer to go integrated, but I think the price will push me towards just a silver washing machine??

Cheers

Hi,

It is definately possible to get an integrated washing machine for under £350.

This Indesit is £324 and has 4.3 out of 5 on customer reviews:

http://bit.ly/avkA63

Or this Hotpoint is a little bit more expensive at £339, but has a customer rating of 4.5 out of 5 and Hotpoint are very popular for their washing machines.

http://bit.ly/do1H5z

Also, these are two very big brands and unlikely to be going anywhere anytime soon!

Hotpoint and Indesit are the same company (well they are owned by Indesit along with Creda, Ariston and a few others) so their machines are pretty much the same (mostly the same componants just different wrapping)

So, the Hotpoint BHWM129 looks OK. Any comments on that machine?

The reviews look pretty good - but it's not a Bosch!

Danny

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back