Indesit washing machine drum jammed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I have an Indesit IWME127 integrated washing machine that’s only just over two years old. The drum became very stiff to turn, and makes a loud metallic scraping noise when you try to do so by hand.

I have watched various videos on this and it seems that, in order of probability, it could be:
(a) a foreign object physically jamming the drum;
(b) a drum bearing fault; or even
(c) a damaged spider that holds the drum bearing (I had this problem before on a much older example of a similar model).

Would I be able to tell which is the case by removing the back? In that case, as it’s a fitted (integrated) type and I haven’t had it out yet, what type of heads do the securing screws have - Philips, Pozi, or anything uncommon?

With that removed, presumably the spider can be clearly seen and inspected for a fracture. But if no problem here, how would I be able to check whether it’s down to a foreign object jam or the drum bearing? Can anyone point me to an exploded diagram, perhaps?

Incidentally, it’s located in Haslemere, and if anyone was able to offer an extra pair of hands (obviously paid and socially distanced), I could be interested - I’m 83 and not quite the man I was! Even determining the cause of the problem would help me decide the best way forward, and any advice will be most gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Alec.

Sponsored Links
Thanks jj, a very sound suggestion - I've coped with tumble driers but I'd forgotten just how heavy a washing machine could be! I'd still value suggestions as to the most likely cause, though, because Indesit is a better proposition if new bearings are involved, whereas a local guy would make more sense if it's anything less.

Sponsored Links
If I had to guess I would say option a, going by the age of the machine but it really is just a guess & could equally be the others. The other possibilities are the motor seized or the belt snapped & somehow jamming the drum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back