Drum Pulley shattered - Hotpoint washer dryer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son'r washer dryer model WDF740g (UK)C has a broken drum pulley - the old one was made of some sort base metal. I notice that there are two options for sale - a metal one or what looks like a plastic one.

Should I stick to the original metal type or get the plastic pulley ?

Sponsored Links
Disaster - can't unto the drum pully bolt. So far we have broken three torx bits - yes it is a torx head bolt. The torx profile is so small compared to the size of the bolt it is not going to undo by just force (the bit breaks or twists).
Anybody any ideas before we take the machine to the dump.

The metal pulley is likely made from a zinc rich alloy called Mazak - brittle by nature.
As for the screw, it could be a left hand thread?
John :)

Just checked on Ebay - there are some similar bolts on sale and they are normal RH thread.
Just need some ideas how to undo it ?

Sponsored Links
I think I'd go for a quality torx bit in a 3/8" drive ratchet - but I'm a bit surprised the bolt head isn't showing signs of wear yet!
Any chance you can get some heat in there?
Can you give us a pic, do you think?

OK we got it sorted - blow torch on the nut - didn't work immediately.
Then we hit the nut with a hammer a few times and that must have released the corrosion and it came off.
Luckily all our efforts did not damage the nut, the torx bits broke instead.
Pictures for you info, with the new pulley wheel installed.

IMG_3566.JPG IMG_3567.JPG IMG_3568.JPG IMG_3570.JPG

Well done! Never as easy as it looks.
I would suggest your torx drivers weren't the best quality, snapping like that - Ive had some allen keys that did the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back