Dry lining boxes back to back in stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question for an electrician

I've want to fit a socket on the other side of a stud wall. Is there enough room generally to fit dry lining boxes back to back? I just don't want to cut the hole only to find out they both won't fit.

Cheers david

Sponsored Links
I belive with a traditional stud partition wall you will most likely have enough room to get two 25mm boxes back to back. 35mm may be ok but it would depend on how thick the timber the builder used was.

Also there are some more modern partition types which are much thinner than the traditional stud partition.

Personally I would remove the existing socket and measure the depth before cutting the hole for the new one.

There's already one socket in place. I'm just putting one on the back of it.

My house is a 1960s build so would have thought they would be enough room but just wanted to check. I'm using Appleby boxes but not sure what size they are

Sponsored Links
There's already one socket in place. I'm just putting one on the back of it.

My house is a 1960s build so would have thought they would be enough room but just wanted to check. I'm using Appleby boxes but not sure what size they are

As the thickness of stud walls could vary, I would suggest your best bet to discover the thickness of the void without additional cuts, would be to isolate socket circuit, prove dead and disconnect the existing socket and backbox, and measure void.
Generally dry-line boxes 35mm some 32mm

why back to back and not just go slightly left or right so boxes dont clash

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back