Dry Lining

Sponsored Links
use dry wall adhesive - it is white and grabs like nothing else!

you would not remove it quite so easily as you have removed those skimming dabs!! :LOL:

the shower areas or predominantly wet areas may require aquapanel or similar. these can be dabbed but will need additional mechanical fixing when set.

Would it be easier using dry wall adhesive?

I am worried about not being able to get it flat and square. Those skimming dabs were a nightmare and my hands are killing me! :evil:

provided the plasterboards are fresh and stored flat, then there is no easier way of flattening an otherwise un-flat wall.

no kidding.

it is soooo easy.

make sure the adhesive is mixed firmish and buttery.

don't skimp on the dabs.

don't be too overzealous when knocking the boards back, use a longish straight edge - about 7 foot long.

pop a level onto the straight edge as you go.

wet the walls first, with water only.

dry wall adhesive does not set quickly so this affords you time to line up and tap straight subsequent boards with previous boards.

always have a bucket of water and a 4" paint brush handy.

Sponsored Links
dabbing or dry lining is messy even for a seasoned pro.

water and a plasterers brush are essential bits of kit.

any unwanted smears, blobs, squeezed out splurges should be wiped off before they set.

try not to leave too much residue though or else the self adhesive scrim tape won't stick. ;)

For D&D, space the adhesive around 250mm apart (I use a wooden kitchen spoon) & put an intermediate one in around the edges of the board for extra support. I would still tape the joins, just skim it over with some tile adhesive as you tile & use decent adhesive & grout, not the budget DIY shed carp; I will only use BAL but it's not cheap!

Don’t forget, either Aquapanel those wet areas or tank the PB; if you don’t you’ll be doing it all again in just a few years, maybe sooner! If you initially D&D the Aquapanel, make a mental note of where the adhesive is & put the (through) fixings through the adhesive dot when it’s set & don’t overdo it; if you miss the adhesive or over tighten the fixings, the Aquapanel will crack; not ideal!

I won't need any tape as i shall be tiling straight onto the board.

For the sake of a couple of quid I would still tape all the joints especially the internal angles because there might be slight movement and it will show up on the joints.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back