drylining boxes

S

sanj.varah

quick question, are you supposed to put these in and then plaster over them or put them in once you've plastered.

I thought it was the latter but the lad in the local electrical wholesalers said i should cut my plasterboard and then skim over them?

thanks

sanj

Sponsored Links
Personal preference I guess but I prefer cutting the board out and fitting the box when the wall has been plastered and is dry.
That way there will be no damage should you need to take the box out for any reason.

It doesn't matter either way, but if you install the box after plastering, there will be a lip of about 1mm visible between the wall and the socket front.

This will usually not be noticeable by joe public.

Given the choice I would install the box before plastering so the flange is not visible when the socket front is fitted, but if this is not an option it really does not matter

Sponsored Links
skim coat should only be about the same thickness as the flange, so it should just pull out..

fit first and then plaster..

ask yourself how often you intend to have to remove the box?

not a very regular occurence.. about the only time you'll need to change the box is if you strip the threads on the lugs..

just buy the type that you can easily change the lugs on and keep a few spares .. make sure you try the threads of the box before you fit it as you get the occasional one that's messed up..

I would fit first and then plaster.....BUT.....If this is a new wall, and I had the option of whacking in a noggin and a metal box I would. I generally only use dryliners on retro-fit jobs - additions, moves etc etc.

The boxes with the Yellow hinged lugs are the easiest to swap lugs if needed - I encountered one previously, and it was tiled in, and the thread was stripped by a careless installer - luckily the lug was the yellow type which was easily de-hinged and swapped over.
The yellow lugged ones are on sale at Newey and Eyres (labelled "Appleby" )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back