Drylining box for floor sockets

Thanks all. I'll go with a noggin and metal box then.

To answer the other question, standard flooring chipboard (22mm I think). Actually, that makes me think a drylining box might not work anyway. Would the wings go that far back?

I agree with JohnW2 who pointed out that in any case the faceplate should bear onto the chipboard, not the box, so there shouldn't be any stress on the box.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I'll go with a noggin and metal box then.

To answer the other question, standard flooring chipboard (22mm I think). Actually, that makes me think a drylining box might not work anyway. Would the wings go that far back?

I agree with JohnW2 who pointed out that in any case the faceplate should bear onto the chipboard, not the box, so there shouldn't be any stress on the box.
Experience tells a different story.

Bernard, I'm wincing at the potential toe pain from one of those in a domestic setting!! :eek::cry:
Not "potential" ...
At a previous job, a good few years ago, we were in a huge office with just a handful of that sort of sockets - imagine the days when the only sockets needed were for the vacuum cleaners and perhaps "a" photocopier, but now we had one or two computers etc in the office. As such, using a different socket wasn't an option - so there was this socket in the middle of a moderately highly trafficked area with something permanently plugged in.
Needless to say, one day one of the secretarial lasses caught her toe on it and sliced it open :cry: So yes, a most definite safety hazard.

Even the modern recessed boxes have a significant trip/injury hazard as most of them have some sort of flap that sticks up when cables are through them. At least, until they've been kicked once or twice and broken off :whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back