Electric socket embedded in kitchen floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks,

I'm about to turn a playroom in my house into a kitchen. I am planning a semi-free standing central console, and so I want to run a spur under the floor to the centre of the room off the main ring circuit, and then embed an electric socket in the floor underneath the console. I was planning a floor socket like
CM3344BC.jpg

As this is a kitchen floor, should I protect the socket with an RCD for safety, in case of spillages?

In addition I was going to run a dedicated spur from the main fuse box for an oven, and use an FCU to protect it. Are there any issues (other than ensuring the wire and fuse are no overloaded), with adding the extractor fan and gas hob ignition to this spur, each with their own FCU, or must I spur these off the main ring too?

Cheers,
MOL.

Sponsored Links
those sockets are horrible. they are a significant trip hazard and the tops seem to get broken off quite frequentl. its much better to get one of the recessed floor boxes from the likes of MK

as to your second question there is no problem with what you propose (which is really just a radial cuircuit).

Thanks for the replies plugwash & ban,

The socket would be under the unit (which is on legs so I could get access underneath to unplug the plug), so it shouldn't be a trip hazard. The centre unit is something like the following, yet 3 times the width:
19972_PE099887_S2.jpg

The socket would be underneath. I will then run a short extension lead from the floor recessed socket, and then fit the extension socket to the back of the central console, underneath an overhanging breakfast bar which will be attached to the back of the console.

The plan is to use it to plug in an electric mixer on the odd occasion it is used. Most of the time it would be unused.

Sponsored Links
yes the time it could/would become a tip hazard is if and when the unit is moved (im guessing you are making this freestanding for a reason.

is the floor wooden or concrete btw

It's concrete, so I'm reluctant to dig too deep down as I don't want to go through the damp proof course.
I will cover the floor with wood laminate (thought it's not good for spills), or I might explore a plastic 'wood' floor like Karndean or Amtico.

Either way I will cut out a square for the socket.

Mug-o-Latte said:
It's concrete, so I'm reluctant to dig too deep down as I don't want to go through the damp proof course.
So how do you plan to run the cable?

I will cover the floor with wood laminate (thought it's not good for spills),
Don't use it then....

or I might explore a plastic 'wood' floor like Karndean or Amtico.
Have you considered bamboo?

Or - a bit radical, this - floor tiles?

Floor tiles - too cold & floor area too large for underfloor heating.

Flooring - Bamboo! I'm not a panda!

Concrete & DPC - conduit will be shallower than recessed floor box, though I'll look into how deep the box goes.

Mug-o-Latte said:
Flooring - Bamboo! I'm not a panda!
Well I didn't mean lengths of cane...

If you've not seen it you should take a look - try a few flooring shops. (And then look on the net for suppliers ;) )

Comes in different colours and orientations:

d07_01.jpg
d07_02.jpg

d-h07_01.jpg
d-h07_02.jpg
d-h07_03.jpg

d-h12_01.jpg
d-h12_02.jpg
d-h12_03.jpg
d-h12_04.jpg

There are loads of suppliers and manufacturers, but varying quality. I wanted the "horizontal" orientation, and the good stuff is made like this:

bamboo-hor.gif

the cheaper stuff doesn't stagger the laminated strips, and it warps.

Overall it's excellent stuff - very dimensionally stable, good for bathrooms and kitchens, environmentally sound (apart from shipping :confused:), as it's very fast growing and is thus a good carbon-sink, and hard-wearing.

Floor socket be dodgy in the event of spillage / water leakage in kitchen ?
Not exactly gonna drain away through concrete.
P

Thanks Ban. I'll look into Bamboo flooring.

Pipme - earlier in the post I mentioned I planned to protect it against spillages with an RCD. The socket will also be under a central console, so will be pretty inaccessible.

Cheers.

Mug-o-Latte said:
The socket will also be under a central console, so will be pretty inaccessible.

Cheers.

not by a stray cup of tea it wont :)

or in your case, a large mug of Coffee :D

If there are any children around - foorgeet it !!! They'll find it probably puke or worse in it !! washing m/c ? Sink water piping ? concrete floor .. ooer !!
:cool:

Okay, okay. I get the message ... :rolleyes:

So the solution??? :confused:

How about running the cable under the floor and up through a hole in the centre of the room, and attach it to a surface mounted socket on the back of the central console (or inside the cupboard) i.e. off the floor?

If I do this can I just spur it directly off the ring at the nearest point, and run it under the flooring (in conduit), or should I have some means of isolating it at the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back