Drylining external corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never had to do this before, but got some boxing in to do in a bathroom and I want a decent finish but not skimming it. Am I right in thinking that you use 2 tapered edges for the external corner, then use a normal skim corner bead, then just fill in?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Ideally each butted end or corner would be tapered, if using the joint tape method, but this is not always possible and you can get away with them being square, and the thin coat angle beads are applied to the external corner.
I personally prefer the self adhesive nylon tape rather than using paper tape to joint internal corners or butted ends, as it will help prevent dry spots and bubbling.

It would be common to apply joint taping compound to tapes and on first application to bead, apply joint filler before applying joint compound, but you could use joint compound only, it may take a couple more applications of this to bring the finish to being level and smooth.

The applications of these compounds and fillers require dying times and sanding and second or third applications, sanding after each, until you have reached the desired finish. They would then require priming prior to paint being applied. it can be quite a time consuming process and small areas can be costly with regards to material costs. I would personally skim it, if you have the skill!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back