Dryvit or traditional render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First floor timber framed extension. Original plans stated traditional render to be used but now being suggested by builder to try Dryvit. Anyone with any experience of this? I like the idea of a coloured render I don't have to paint but am weary about horror stories I've read and cost difference of approx £700.
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
What's your build up?
What horror stories have you heard?
Dryvit is like any other system of this type, I've not hear of this one in particular but STO, Jub or Jonstones get used a lot around where I am and they are all fairly good if they are applied correctly!

Builders guaranteed it will be applied according to manufacturers advice and they are keen due to increased flexibility. Will be applied over Cembrit PB Permabase Cement boards over timber frame. Just worried by others recounts of mould and green patches occurring after application.

Sponsored Links
Thin layer renders are better for TF as they are more breathable. You also want a fiber glass mesh in even if you go for traditional sand and cement render.
£700 extra seems like a lot for an extension but it depends on how big it is. A bagged render in my opinion is better as it removes the mix error onsite. Then you have the benefit of the through colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back