Drywall Adhesive used as a filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

I have been dot-dabbing and have some Drywall Adhesive leftover - I have just made channels in a solid brick wall for piping with regards to my new shower installation and wish to fill in the channels leaving the pipe conduits covered. Is Drywall Adhesive ok to use as a filler, it seems to set far harder than Bonding and Hard Wall and so I assume it would be fine provided I PVA the channel walls first?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I keep a bag of the stuff permanently for just that sort of application. It is far better than Polyfilla too for filling holes.

I keep a bag of the stuff permanently for just that sort of application. It is far better than Polyfilla too for filling holes.

Agreed, rock solid isn't it, Bonding just seems to fall apart, Hard Wall is good but again a bit crumbly - plus this stuff seems much smoother, I'm tiling over it so need a good finish.

I'll give it a go!

Agreed, rock solid isn't it, Bonding just seems to fall apart, Hard Wall is good but again a bit crumbly - plus this stuff seems much smoother, I'm tiling over it so need a good finish.

I'll give it a go!

All done and after only an hour its feeling fairly solid...perhaps partly due to me running out of Drywall and adding some leftover Multifinish that I had - so I've got the best of both worlds - a nice smooth finish with a good solid foundation :D

Sponsored Links
Agreed, rock solid isn't it!

Agree with you it sets hard and is easy to work with etc.
I believe that a downside with it is that when it dries (when used thick) is that you can get some shrinkage, as opposed to an undercoat plaster like Hardwall.
If you're tiling (or have already) over the top, then I'm sure this minor inconvenience is not an issue. Post just included for info.

Agreed, rock solid isn't it!

Agree with you it sets hard and is easy to work with etc.
I believe that a downside with it is that when it dries (when used thick) is that you can get some shrinkage, as opposed to an undercoat plaster like Hardwall.
If you're tiling (or have already) over the top, then I'm sure this minor inconvenience is not an issue. Post just included for info.

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated - I do notice that with Drywall Adhesive, there's no movement whilst/once it has set, unlike Bonding and Hardwall where you tend to see cracks/movement as it goes off?

I just wish Gyproc would sort their bags out, they're so flimsy, never properly sealed and always leave all over my boot! If only they'd shrinkwrap them after packaging perhaps!

I have and still do sometimes use the adhesive as a backing coat when I have to fill out small areas and also use it to go over my scrim tape and let it set (on tapered edged boards) and skim over it... ;)No Probs....

I have and still do sometimes use the adhesive as a backing coat when I have to fill out small areas and also use it to go over my scrim tape and let it set (on tapered edged boards) and skim over it... ;)No Probs....

I'm the same as you Roy regarding filling tapered edged board joints. I tape the joints, (usually with gyproc filler) and bring the tapers out to flush,, let them set, then skim the ceiling/wall. No chance of the joints showing that way.

Hi all.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've just drywall adhesive to fill some quite large areas in between a worktop and window before tiling. Its an in deep in some parts, about half a metre wide, 15CM high. How long will I have to wait for it to dry out before I can tile over it?

Also, should I use a primer before tiling over this?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back