Theory question for a plaster expert, please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand that it is now good practice to dot and dab drywall adhesive in ribbons with a continuous line around the perimeter- but how come it's not commonplace to just stick the whole board on using a full bed of drywall adhesive? It's quicker to throw on and smooth out the adhesive rather than do the ribbons, isn't it? What am missing, please?

Sponsored Links
I understand that it is now good practice to dot and dab drywall adhesive in ribbons with a continuous line around the perimeter- but how come it's not commonplace to just stick the whole board on using a full bed of drywall adhesive? It's quicker to throw on and smooth out the adhesive rather than do the ribbons, isn't it? What am missing, please?
Expense and no give to flat board all over!
Edit: I'm DIY, have put boards on and know how expensive the adhesive is

Last edited:
Thank you, lost in the light :) No give is good when it comes to plasterboard, isn't it? Won't crack the plaster skim?

Sponsored Links
You can't push it in with a full bed, there's nowhere for the adhesive to go. The dabs will "squish" when you press against them so you can get the boards plumb - depending how plumb the wall is anything from a few mm to an inch or more. Also the air gaps contribute to the thermal efficiency of the wall. In terms of give, the "fixings" will be at least as closely spaced as a stud wall.

So it's significantly more expensive to do a full bed of drywall adhesive, you can get the plasterboard more level with dabs and it will adhere better and the air behind helps with thermal efficiency.... So definitely a better method then!!! Thank you so much for explaining - I appreciate it!!!! :)

I always put adhesive around edge so it's air tight.
Stops cold air blowing behind boards.
Also stops the flex on edge causing cracks.

OP,
To answer your original question: the field of the board is pressed into dabs as others have explained above.
The ribbons of adhesive that you refer to are a continuous line at the base of the wall and the same at the top - the purpose is as a fire precaution against smoke funnelling and drafts.
It used to be in British Gypsums guidance notes (& the Regs ?) but few plasterers seem to bother.

Thank you :) Yeah, I knew the reason for ensuring the plasterboard is fully sealed but I just didn't understand why the suggestion was never made that people could fully coat the back of the board or wall in adhesive as it would have also acted as a parge coat, wouldn't it? So a two for one benefit. But the explanations given make sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back