drywall anchor - correct size for curtain rail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've got some newly-fitted 12.5mm plasterboard and want to hang a couple of curtain rails up. The rails have three fixing points on each side. The poles are only around a metre long, each. The hollow anchors I bought say they're for a minimum of 8mm thickness. (B&Q M4 32mm). My plasterboard, plus skim is probably around 13.5 - 14mm. The next hollow anchor size up has a minimum thickness of 16mm thickness, so are no good.

Q1. I presume these 8mm fixing will be fine? As I've never used plasterboard before, I'm a bit anxious that they'll just expand into the plasterboard and tear it apart.
Q2. Each of the 3 fixings (per side) are only about 15mm apart. I presume this won't just make the plasterboard very weak at those three points and the whole thing comes out in one big triangle? (I could probably get away with just one anchor each side, considering the weight of the curtains)

I did a couple of tests to see how far the anchors deform, next to each other.

Thanks,
Neil
1681572941390.png

1681572903697.png

1681572666490.png

Sponsored Links
You can’t use those fixings close together, one on its own will hold the weight .Though that style of brackets is not really suitable for plasterboard fixing.

You can’t use those fixings close together, one on its own will hold the weight .Though that style of brackets is not really suitable for plasterboard fixing.
Thank you. I did think having three fittings that close together would just make a weak point and might just crumble the plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back