Drywall screw spacing for 24”/600mm centres (soundproofing)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a stud wall for optimum soundproofing.

I have the first layer of 5/8” (15mm) drywall (strong adhesive on the 24” / 600mm centre studs then minimal screws to hold it onto the adhesive as second layer will be fully screwed through first). I will be applying green glue to the second layer of 5/8” (15mm) then screwing on. The Green glue company just say screw spacing to local building code.

What would the optimum spacing be for the screws? The fewer screws the lower the sound transmission but don’t want to make problems or be unsafe.

I have read so many different things. The Uk doesn’t have codes for this but California building codes say up to 12” spacings are fine, then other diy sites that you need 12” but 8” at the edges, then others say 10” or 12” everywhere. Then I watch some YouTube vids where people leave 16” gaps but double up their screws 1” next to the first.

I’m thinking of going for an even 10” or 12” spacing everywhere but not sure.
#confused

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back